Monday, February 25, 2013

8 dog team!!

A couple of weeks ago I got an offer from Aiyana Ferraro saying she wasn't using all of her A team dogs for Stanley Sled Dog Rendezvous, and asked if I wanted to use two so I could run in the four dog class. (herself and her dogs have raced in the Jr. Iditarod before) So of course, I said yes.

So on Saturday the dogs and I went up to Skalkaho to try some of her dogs out. She had six dogs I could use and I couldn't decide between running them in two teams of four, or one team of eight. I had never ran eight dogs before so I wanted to do that. My team consisted of:

Thor Rainbow (or just bow)
(I forgot these guys' names)
Dingo Shilah
(I forgot their names too)

As you can tell I'm not very good with names! 

Once we started off it was SO AMAZING!!! I couldn't believe it! There was SO much power and speed. I didn't have to work one bit, which is pretty rare :). We ran 5 miles in about 20 minutes, and everybody else up there said the snow was slow. When we came to the turn around, I said "gee" and Thor and Rainbow turned gee perfectly (okay not perfectly, I had to say it a couple of times and point to the right, but I didn't have to anchor down and drag them to the turn). That was the only "big" thing during the run. 

It was one of the best runs I have ever done! Thank you Aiyana! 


If the video doesn't work, you can also see it here www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0KIaUjRUS0.

No comments:

Post a Comment