Saturday, January 25, 2014

2014 Darby Dog Derby

Last weekend I went up to Montana to race in the Darby Dog Derby! It was SO much fun! I entered in the 4 dog, 6 mile class and got 3rd out of 4 teams. Hey, at least I didn't get last. :) My team was Thor, two of Nicki's dogs (a musher friend), and one of Team Warren's dogs. They all did great! I was really happy how all four of the dogs ran so well together even when they haven't really ran together before. Awesome puppies!
My results were kind of crazy! The first day I got a time of 32:38 and was in 4th place. The second day I got the exact same time of 32:28! To top if off I moved up a place and beat the 4th team by one second! Crazy!!
That's not the end of the story. :) When we were driving home, we came upon the Warrens who were pulled alongside the road. Their truck had blown a tire so we pulled over to help them. A nice couple  came up and said that they had a tire that would fit their truck, that they could give them. Then they said they had some dog boxes that weren't being used and are just sitting in their yard. They said that if we wanted them they would just give them to us. I was SO excited because I had been praying for about a year now, trying to figure out how I was going to get dog boxes. My dad and I went to see them and they are a little funky but are perfect for what I had been looking for. :) They even have built in fans for in the summer. God sure works in mysterious ways! :) To make the day more exciting, the Warrens, because of the flat tire, decided to stay at our house that night because they decided they would get back to their house too late if they kept driving. Quite the day!!

Thanks Patrick J Chaplin for this awesome photo of my team!!

Getting ready! The Warren's dog has taken pulling a sled to a whole new level. :)

And... they're off!

Thor is such a goof!

Nora chillin. :)

The mushers!

I really want to thank the Bitterroot Mushers for putting on such an awesome race and to everyone else who helped put it on (there are too many for me to name individually) :). I also want to thank Nicki and Team Warren for loaning me their dogs and to the couple who generously gave me dog boxes. The whole weekend was a blast and it was awesome to catch up with lots of friends there and to meet more friends. Thanks again to the Bitterroot Mushers and all the mushers and volunteers who made the awesome race possible. :)
Happy mushing!
Annalisa

PS. You can check out some awesome pictures that Patrick J Chaplin took of the race here!

No comments:

Post a Comment